Screamhouse Media
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Screamhouse Media

Connecting you to the music industry.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegister

Pro Tools VS any other recording software.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ScreamhouseShane
Admin
ScreamhouseShane

Pro Tools VS any other recording software. Empty
PostSubject: Pro Tools VS any other recording software.   Pro Tools VS any other recording software. EmptyJuly 27th 2010, 6:10 am

Most of the time when you here about Pro Tools the conversation goes a little something like this....achem, i have to clear my throat for this one....."Pro Tools is the industry standard blah blah blah blah blah blah balh etc." After i hear that line from anybody i tend to tune out and stop listening because, they are obviously uneducated about recording and for the most part, they wont be giving me any useful knowledge. This tired old rhetoric is constantly being fed to fool sale kids, yes i spelled that correctly. Unfortunatley this school is spitting out 300 students a month in the audio recording program that have been dooped into spending 80 grand on a recording degree which unfortunately will not get them a job any quicker. I'm not bashing on the students themselves, i just think the school is taking major advantage. Not to mention the tuition keeps goin up?!. Hell you could build a bad ass studio for $50 grand and learn how to use mostly everything that is necessary inside of a couple of weeks just fooling around with the program and reading some articles. Anyway lets get started

First and foremost, the software you are using has nothing to do with the sound quality! Its all in the hardware! Now that we got that out of the way, lets move on.

Why i dont like to use Pro Tools
-limited to 32 tracks unless you have 4 grand to get Pro Tools HD
-screen, buttons, tools, and vocabulary are CONFUSING
-editing tools are very limiting, or it takes you 20 steps to get to what you want
-you have to have the Digidesign hardware to run it
-plugins are super expensive
-lags down your cpu hard core
-takes too long to load
There are a couple of other things i could find to pick out, but those are the ones that bother me the most.

Why I like using Cubase instead
-unlimited number of tracks to use
-extremely user friendly
-editing is extremely quick and seems to flow alot better than PT, PT seems like its more 1s and 0s and when you compare cubase it feels more organic. You would have to use the 2 of them to understand what i'm talking about
-you can get a group of plugins for the price of 1 plugin for pro tools and they are on equal quality
-does anything pro tools can do plus more with just the stock program itself

I used Pro Tools exclusively for about 4 years. A good friend and fellow engineer showed me Nuendo 4, and I almost wanted to throw my PT disc in the trash. Not a wise choice because I could sell it, but thats just about what went down. Since then i have had no use whatsoever to use PT (unless somebody absolutely wants to use pro tools or they just want to track it and do their own thing with it and PT is the program they have).

If you like PT and it works great and does everything you need it to do, then by all means keep using it.

To all of the other engineers and fellow musicians in the recording industry that use Cubase or any other program comparable hold your head high with confidence. The next time someone starts talking about how awesome PT is, just smile and politely say "wow thats cool". Why? Because you already know you are light years ahead in the game.

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/IWillBreakThee

Pro Tools VS any other recording software.
Page 1 of 1